Friday, June 22, 2007

Open Letter To The Log Cabin Republicans

Here is my response to Patrick Sammon's letter to The Washington Blade at: http://www.washblade.com/2007/6-22/view/columns/10799.cfm. He is the President of the Log Cabin (gay) Republicans' national organization.

Dear Mr. Sammon,

I was very pleased to read your Op-Ed in The Blade regarding the role of the GOP in protecting gay marriage rights in Massachusetts. I completely agree with you when you say that victory would not have happened without support from those GOP lawmakers who sided with us at the last minute. I tip my hat to you and the rest of the Log Cabin Republicans for your work behind enemy lines to change hearts and minds regarding GLBT families in America. In fact, a 'tip of the hat' may not be enough, though. For, I could not live with myself if I signed on with the GOP for any of its current causes.

The fact is that the GOP has been co-opted by the worst people in the world: Those who believe that the strong, rich and numerous have eminent control over the lives of the rest of us who are not so well-heeled, endowed, or privileged in any regard. You see, in a world where all things are equal, and disparities don't exist along the color line, and discrimination doesn't exist along the gender line, and peace is more desirable than perpetual conflict, and religion is not a source of pain, the GOP and its current platform would thrive. That world is not yet manifest. And, the GOP is the primary force standing in its way here in America. Until that changes, I cannot sign on.

America is in trouble due to 6-plus years of unchecked, lazy and corrupt far-right wing Republican leadership. Only a strong return stroke from the Left will undo the damage done to our country, constitution and international countenance. This process will likely involve at least 8 years of liberal Democratic rule in the U.S. I will work as hard as I possibly can to see that this antidote is administered. During that process, I suggest you work equally as hard to re-tool the Republican party platform and its goals, making sure that it is better equipped to lead this democratic republic the next time the GOP is electable. I truly want to see the Republican party regain its dignified reputation. But I will do everything I can to defeat it if its goals are not good for all of America.

Sincerely,

Larry Seiferth Jr.

No comments: