Saturday, June 9, 2007

Beauty is in the Eye of the Creator

One thing I noticed about the local flora and fauna when I moved here from the West Coast is that there are plenty of wild-roaming cockroaches here in the South. It got me to thinking about creation and God's plan for those species that are maligned by Man. Consider this: Who created cockroaches? If your answer is God, then why do we hate those creatures so? Is it because we hate what they do with their lives (i.e. scavenge for their livelihood in places we find filthy)? What was God's purpose in creating such a detestable creature?

I can't be too sanctimonious, because there are also creatures I don't like very much. Mosquito's, for example, are not welcome in my house. If I hear that high-pitched buzz next to my ear while lying in bed, I will seek out the responsible creature and kill it to prevent it from biting me while I sleep. Respctively, I would also vanquish a vicious dog from my house if I thought it would harm me in the middle of the night.

Beauty, thus, is in the eye of the CREATOR. We may not see God's plan for such creatures, and we may even seek to anhialate them from our presence. But how do we affect God's plan for them when we do? And, if they pose no physical threat to us, how do we justify exterminating them without cause? As a gay man, I find a lot of comfort in knowing that God created cockroaches. Moreover, I find even greater comfort in knowing that they have survived the eons, while other species have not. Food for thought.

I'm going to go out back and throw some crushed pretzels on the back deck for the cockroaches that come out at night. But, for the grace of God, there go I.

No comments: