Monday, June 18, 2007

Ex-Gays Should Not Oppose Equality For Real Gays

I don't claim to understand the ability of self-described ex-gays to control their sexual orientation. I tried for many years to do that, invoking my faith in God and Christ. Nonetheless, I take them at their word. However, they sully their reputation by selling their story to anti-gay organizations which use them for a right-wing political advantage:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/irvine/article_1732269.php

Alan Chambers is entitled to his life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I would never stand in his way. However, he is not entitled to superimpose his experience on American public policy at the expense of those of us who have tried his method to no avail. Ex-gays enjoy all of the rights and responsibilities of heterosexual citizens. They have no business telling us that equality, fairness and justice are not necessary for GLBT Americans.

No comments: